Reporting to the Board, the Executive Director will provide strategic leadership, management and direction for Art League Houston. The Executive Director will be responsible for overseeing and supporting the Visual Arts Director and Education Programs Director who are responsible for developing the four primary programmatic areas of Art League Houston: curatorial programming, community-building, art education, and outreach to underserved communities. As the key management leader and chief visionary spokesperson of the organization at the local, regional and national level, the Executive Director will oversee and implement the administration and strategic plan. Important to the success of this position is an organized leader who fosters a culture of collaboration, teamwork, and embraces the organization’s Core Values.
The Executive Director is the principal ambassador for Art League Houston, and is expected to maintain and grow a healthy budget that can support the vision and pursuits of the organization. This person will play a proactive, visible role in fundraising, specifically through cultivating relationships with supporters, strengthening community relationships, and writing grants and proposals. The position requires broad knowledge of the local, regional, and national visual arts scenes, including arts education.
DESCRIPTION OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and nurture an aspirational culture within the organization that brings out the best in each person; listen to staff to harness their energy and ideas; foster a culture of creativity, strategic thinking, transparency, collaboration, and accountability;
- Continue to strengthen the impact of Art League Houston while raising awareness of the organization and its programs through community outreach, external relations, publications, and local and regional press, as well as social media. Work with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled, while continuing implementation of the strategic plan;
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the organization contribute to and reflect the mission of the Art League and priorities of the Board;
- Manage, supervise, and evaluate Art League Houston’s staff. Support and cultivate success in each organizational department and director (Education Program Director, Visual Arts Director and Director of Operations). Responsible for the retention and hiring of competent, qualified staff;
- Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness; and
- Respond to the needs of the community served by Art League Houston and the evolving Houston-based art scene.
- Manage the day to day operations of Art League Houston
Financial Performance and Viability:
- Understand the business of Art League Houston: its budget, resources, investments, partnerships, and other sources of support;
- Develop resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization;
- Uphold and oversee the fiscal integrity of Art League Houston and its programs;
- Manage expenditures within the approved budget, ensuring maximum resource utilization and maintaining the organization’s positive financial position;
- Find innovative ways to increase fundraising and consistently develop strategies to identify other resources necessary to support Art League Houston’s mission;
- Research funding sources, such as local and national grants, and write funding proposals that support the strategic plan of Art League Houston;
- Serve as the primary facilitator/liaison between the staff, executive board and event co-chairs in organizing the annual gala and other fundraising events to increase revenue to support programs and services;
- Identify resources needed to sustain and expand operational and programmatic needs;
- Maintain relationships with donors, sponsors, and patrons and sustain a steady presence in the significant and integral community events; and
- Responsible for the enhancement of Art League Houston’s image with a proactive and visible presence in the visual arts community and working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations.
- Work with the Board of Directors in order to fulfill the organization’s mission and achieve future goals;
- Engage and expand the Board, while finding ways to bring forth their best efforts;
- Communicate effectively with the Board and provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions;
- Create and provide to the Board a proposed and comprehensive annual budget and monthly financial statements that accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization. Ensure Board members are well-informed and up-to-date on Art League Houston’s institutional and fiscal standing;
- Assist in negotiating signing all notes and agreements on behalf of the organization within the authority delegated by the Board; and
- Collaborate with the Board to continually evaluate Art League Houston’s reputation within the community, relevance in the art world, and reflection of the community it serves;
IDEAL EXPERIENCE AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- The Executive Director will be a creative visionary with inventive leadership skills who strongly believes in the mission and core values of Art League Houston.
- Experience supervising and collaborating with staff, and the ability to allow program directors to fulfill their roles and passions;
- Proven managerial, problem-solving capabilities in a highly collaborative environment;
- Strong executive functioning capabilities including organization, planning, delegating, time management, and task facilitation;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and strategies. Maintain flexibility and tolerance of a changing work environment while achieving effectiveness and efficiency;
- Not-for-profit budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, strategic decision-making, and reporting;
- A persuasive and accomplished fundraiser with strong external relations skills;
- Experience and knowledge of best-practices in fundraising strategies, special event planning, and donor and membership relations unique to the arts and not-for-profit sector;
- Ability to communicate passionately, clearly, and concisely the vision for Art League Houston’s strategic future to staff, board, donors, artists, and the community;
- Strong written, oral communication skills, and public speaking abilities;
- Five or more years related senior not-for-profit management experience.
Please submit the following materials in MS Word or PDF electronic format via email to email@example.com.
- Cover letter
- Resume with salary requirements
- Three (3) development or other writing samples
- Three (3) professional references who will not be contacted without the approval of the candidate
Please do not mail hard copies. All materials must be received by March 15, 2017.