Art League Houston Mission
The mission of Art League Houston is to connect the community through diverse, dynamic, and creative experiences that bring people together to see, make, and talk about contemporary visual art. Founded in 1948, Art League Houston has radically evolved beyond the parameters of traditional art leagues. While keeping the core of the art league model – a robust membership deeply committed to the value of visual art in contemporary life – Art League Houston embraces contemporary approaches to curatorial programming, community-building, art education, and outreach to under-served communities.
OPEN CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS are reviewed ONCE a year
Past Deadline: November 30, 2016*
*Exhibitions selected through this open call will be programmed between the following dates: November 2017 - November 2018.
Art League Houston Galleries
Art League Houston will consider proposals by local, regional, national, and international (emerging and established) artists/curators in all media that include the following:
- Clarity and articulation of a central idea
- Strong artistic quality
- Artworks and projects that address social, political and cultural issues relevant to the local community
- Relevancy to current dialogues in contemporary art
- Opportunities for compelling ancillary programming such as performances, film, lectures, panel discussions, round tables etc.
- Availability of curator and artist(s) to play an integral role in execution of exhibition and events
- Artworks and projects that has not been previously shown in Houston
- Platform artists/curators who reflect the local community
Open Call Review Process
The open call artwork submissions are reviewed by the Artist Advisory Board made up of artists and arts professionals from the region. The proposal selection process is highly competitive as Art League Houston receives many submissions each year. Artists are selected on overall quality and innovation.
ALH’s commitment to supporting the growing needs of artists has been a driving force of the organization since its inception. In 2014, ALH was the first arts organization in Texas to become W.A.G.E. Certified, a program operated by Working Artists and the Greater Economy in New York.
- Main Gallery: $1,800
- Front Gallery: $1,100
- Hallway Space: $400
- Sculpture Patio: $1,100
W.A.G.E. Certification is a voluntary program which publicly recognizes nonprofit art organizations that have made a commitment to operate ethically in relation to artists. A W.A.G.E. Certified organization signals that it stands in solidarity with artists as part of an equitable community no matter what their material practice or reputation might be.
Exhibitions proposals are accepted online through Submittable.com. Please provide all of the below information ONLINE via www.Submittable.com. We do not accept hard copies or CD's of your proposal under any circumstances.
Please Note: THE SELECTION PROCESS IS BLIND. Please do not put your name on your proposal, resume and image/video list(s). If you're proposing a group show, please identify artists as artist 1,2 3 ...
All proposals must include the following information:
- Visual Artists — 10 digital images of work. Image files must be in a .JPG format
- Please provide a corresponding list of images including title, year, medium and dimensions for each piece
- Video and performance artists — for video, include a YouTube or Vimeo link
- Videos must not exceed more than 3 minutes. Please provide a corresponding list of video clips including title, year, medium and dimensions for each piece.
Up to 500 words including the following information:
- Title and description of proposed project
- Identify artists as artist a,b,c, etc.
- Special requirements, if any
- Specify Main Gallery, Front Gallery, Hallway Space or Sculpture Garden
- Resume(s)/CV must be saved as a PDF, text file (.txt), or Microsoft Word document (.doc, .docx) not to exceed two pages.
- When proposing a group exhibition, save and submit all the artists' resumes in one PDF, text file (.txt), or Microsoft Word document.
The selection process may take 6-8 weeks for completion. Once selection has been made, all artists will be notified by email. Please do not call or email to inquire about results.
Art League Houston ONLY accepts exhibitions proposals online through Submittable.com. Mailed applications will not be reviewed.
To submit a proposal, please click here to create a free Submittable.com account.
Questions about submissions? Email email@example.com or call 713-523-9530 during office hours (Tuesday - Friday, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM).
ALH EXHIBITION PROGRAMMING
Art League Houston selects visual arts programming using a hybrid of traditional approaches employing a combination of:
- Blind open call in an effort to be open and democratic
- Artist advisory board input to ensure ALH is reflective, relevant and responsive to the local community
- Focused curatorial vision to foster a thoughtful and critical exploration of current issues